The Syrian Center for Policy Research is pleased to invite you to attend our side event as part of the 2022 IMF/WBG Spring meeting Civil Society Policy Forum, entitled:
Conflict, Economic crisis, and Covid-19 nexus: Recovery perspectives in the Middle East.
Wednesday, April 6, 2022
8:00–9:30 am Washington, D.C. time (12:00-1:30 pm GMT)
Session abstract: The Syrian Center for Policy Research (SCPR) will moderate a discussion that demonstrates the impact of COVID-19 related policies and interventions adopted by local and international actors on conflict and crises dynamics in the Middle East. Specifically, the session will diagnose the impact on inequality, poverty, conflict economies and human security. The session also aims to critically assess the potential IMF/WB interventions for post COVID-19 recovery in such contexts, and suggests a civil society perspective for a recovery that counters conflict and crises’ foundations.
• Moderator: Dr. Rabei Nasser, Co-Founder and researcher, Syrian Centre for Policy Research (SCPR)
• Panelist 2: Dr. Marie-Noëlle AbiYaghi, Co-Director, The Centre for Social Sciences Research and Action
• Panelist 3: Dr. Harun Onder, Senior Economist, World Bank Group
• Panelist 4: Dr. Omar Dahi, Associate Professor of Economics at Hampshire College, Project Director of “ Security in Context “.
• Panelist 5: Dr. Holly Welborn Benner, the World Bank Resident Representative in Jordan.