About the initiative
Development policy Forum initiative of the Syrian Center for Policy Research seeks to promote critical analysis of the challenges posed by the conflict in Syria and to explore policy alternatives to address them while analyzing the impact of ongoing policies enforced by the conflict actors at the institutional, economic and socioeconomic level.
Why policy dialogue
The ongoing armed conflict in Syria destroyed the economic, social, and political foundation of the country in addition, the conflict aggravated the existing grievances and created new major challenges that need creative policies and initiatives. Rebuilding devastated Syria needs a participatory vision that captures the people desired future in achieving prosperity and justice for all, and in ensuring the optimum investment for its potentials to reach sustainable, inclusive, and human-centered development.
The Syrian Center for Policy Research (SCPR) is organizing a monthly dialogue on varies social, economic and development issues in Syria, the center seeks by this initiative to read critically the challenges posed by the conflict in Syria and try to explore alternatives to address these challenges, in addition analyzing the ongoing policies enforced by the Government and other actors at institutional, social and economic level.
key objectives of the initiative
- Introduce and explore the magnitude of the development challenges resulting from the conflict;
- Use scientific methodologies to analyze the challenges, the causes, and the current and future expected results;
- Adopt participatory analysis with experts in the field;
- Develop alternative options for the future;
- Build networks between research institutions and academia, experts, and organizations working on development;
- Disseminate results and outcomes of discussions on a wide scale to enrich the dialogue on public issues.
The dialogue forum is bringing together Syrian and international experts, in addition to the accumulated knowledge available in the center, to provide evidence-based analysis and alternatives to the most pressing issues Syrian people are facing today. In order to provide policymakers and interested parties with the necessary information, critical analysis, and independent point of view, on which they can build their strategies and policies to overcome the crisis root and impact in Syria.
With this initiative the center is working on:
- Provide a check on the quality and contents of the policy practice;
- Clarifying the missing information and shortages in the data available;
- Analyzing the relationship between several developmental factors;
- Proposing an alternative to counter the negative impact of what has been implemented, on social and economic levels.
- Use a Participatory approach in developing future research questions and agendas.
Critical reading of the Syrian national statistics
Conflict Economies in Syria: Roots, Dynamics, and Pathways for Change
The Role Institutions in Economies of Violence and Alternative Policies
The Role of Syrian Civil Society in Dismantling Conflict Economies
The Role of the Private Sector in Syria in Dismantling Conflict Economies.
The Role of UN agencies and international organizations in Syrian Conflict Economics
The Political Economy of Constitution